Area of Effect (AOE in short) is a special characteristic of Weapons, Equipment, and Abilities. Basically, it allows to affect more than one entity usually surrounding the target. Due to its nature this trait causes as much Friendly Fire as possible in affected radius, which is a trade for immense offensive capability.
Only two Classes possess the trait, those being Shotguns (short range) and Launchers (long range). The former simply Damage all targets caught in the AOE, while rocket-propelled shells need to directly hit the target to have an effect, thus being less reliable.
There's also an occurrence falling into AOE category, called Spread. Typically, if there are several entities in an area of effect, rounds fired from / automatic Weaponry randomly hit either of entities, regardless of line of sight. An opponent being Locked does not influence this target randomization. As a result, friendlies risk taking a good portion of Damage and all the nasties a shooter is fitted with.
- Commando (slight Initiative boost).
- Retreat (pulling surviving Troops out and deploying a fresh Wave if facing overwhelming hostiles, rotated troopers are resupplied and are counted as newly deployed upon return to combat).
- Bait (individual 8 bonus, undefined Dodge malus, and makes the owner the highest-priority target).
- Brick S***house (individual 3 bonus, and gives friendlies Dodge bonus).
- Camouflage (individual 20% Dodge bonus, and lowers the priority of being targeted).
- Interception (reversing use of Grenades, throwing them back at the enemy).